Working for yourself can mean years of feast and famine, financially – and nobody seems to mention it. This week I talk to fashion designer turned illustrator Niki Groom, about what makes the difference, sticking with your dreams, and building a secure financial future.
Things we talk about in this episode:
- Taking a break to create for yourself
- The day to day realities of low income
- Advice Niki received from a money management specialist
- The shame and stigma of both making and not making money
- Pros of insurance for creative business owners
- Leaving a secure career to go freelance
- How to handle ‘money baggage’
- The pros & cons of pensions – and why it’s not as boring as you think!
- Why we should never work for free
- Why we should celebrate whatever we earn
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Niki’s finance tweet thread
- Niki’s financial advisor
- Niki’s blog post about working for free
- LIL Collective
- The Association of Illustrators
- Moneywise Magazine (Niki’s article will be in this soon)
- Cosby Show actor job shaming
- It Cosmetics
- Mosaic-style Instagram grid App – iPhone | Android (I haven’t tested these!)
Want to get an email reminder when a new episode is up? Just pop your email address in the box below.