This episode was recorded a couple of weeks ago now – which feels like a lifetime ago in the post COVID19 world. I considered delaying the episode but in the end I decided that the topics we cover – distraction, getting stuff done, being a present & engaged parent and dealing with our own negative emotions – are probably more relevant to many of us than ever, right now.
So, here’s past guest Nir Eyal answering listener questions about distraction and focus, and how we can have more choice over how we direct those things.
Things we talk about in this episode:
- Why being truly indistractable isn’t really the aim
- “A mistake repeated more than once is a decision” ― Paulo Coelho
- Why your goal should be growth, not perfection
- Why we can’t rely on willpower and self control
- The antidote to impulsiveness
- How time-boxing your calendar gives you freedom
- Why we can’t blame our phones for our distraction
- How to stay indistractable when spending time with our kids (even when it’s boring!)
- The power of changing our thinking from ‘have too’ to ‘choose too’
- The tyranny of the to-do list
- Being indistractable with ADHD
- How to keep to a schedule, even when we don’t want to
- Getting started on a task
- Why accountability is key to staying focused
- How to turn distraction into laser sharp focus
Links mentioned in this episode:
- The Flock Community – get notified
- My 15 Minute Magic Class – enrolling now
- My Instagram, Twitter and website
Want to get an email reminder when a new episode is up? Just pop your email address in the box below.